LFS and apt

Peter Haack peterhaack01 at yahoo.de
Thu Sep 6 12:14:58 PDT 2007

support schrieb:
> Peter,
>
> While there's no reason you can't use them on other distributions, keep in
> mind that apt and dpkg are very Debian-centric.  That said, do you have a
> Debian system you can use for reference?
>
> I think your problem stems from not having one of the configuration files
> for apt set up correctly; in /etc/apt, you need a "sources.list" file, and
> will probably want an apt.conf file at a bare minimum - apt uses those two
> files (plus "preferences" plus "equivs" if they exist) to determine what
> version of what package to do what with on any given system.  It uses a
> fairly complex set of rules & algorithm for doing that.
>
> You might want to check out the "Apt HOWTO":
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html#s-default-ver
> sion
>
> These may be of thelp to you as well:
> http://people.debian.org/~dburrows/aptitude-doc/en/rn01re01.html
> http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r18645940-Sources-Backports-and-aptconf
>
> Once you understand how "apt" works, how dpkg works should make a little
> more sense (or vice-versa).  They're *not* the same as a package manager
> such as "RPM", and about all trying to use them the same way got me was more
> grey hair.  I know there are versions of apt around for distributions other
> than Debian; about all I know, though, is that they exist.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
>  - Larry

Hi, Larry!
Well, I`m using Debian for nearly two years, and I know the usage of apt
and dpkg. I have a sources.list configured on my LFS system, and the
packages are being downloaded, but not installed.
I currently use Debian lenny, and there is no apt.conf under
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d , but there is a sample apt.conf under
/usr/share/doc/apt/examples/
I will cp that file to LFS, and try again.

Thanks for your reply.