LFS and apt

support support at cslimits.net
Thu Sep 6 11:58:11 PDT 2007

Peter,

While there's no reason you can't use them on other distributions, keep in
mind that apt and dpkg are very Debian-centric.  That said, do you have a
Debian system you can use for reference?

I think your problem stems from not having one of the configuration files
for apt set up correctly; in /etc/apt, you need a "sources.list" file, and
will probably want an apt.conf file at a bare minimum - apt uses those two
files (plus "preferences" plus "equivs" if they exist) to determine what
version of what package to do what with on any given system.  It uses a
fairly complex set of rules & algorithm for doing that.

You might want to check out the "Apt HOWTO":
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html#s-default-ver
sion

These may be of thelp to you as well:
http://people.debian.org/~dburrows/aptitude-doc/en/rn01re01.html
http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r18645940-Sources-Backports-and-aptconf

Once you understand how "apt" works, how dpkg works should make a little
more sense (or vice-versa).  They're *not* the same as a package manager
such as "RPM", and about all trying to use them the same way got me was more
grey hair.  I know there are versions of apt around for distributions other
than Debian; about all I know, though, is that they exist.

Hope that helps.

 - Larry