startup problem: system boots, /etc/rc.d/init.d/sysklogd "hangs": is there a good way to debug this?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 20:27:00 PDT 2007

On 9/5/07, support <support at cslimits.net> wrote:
> Thanks, Dan -
>
> > Before adding debugging to the functions, try booting to single user
> > mode (level 1). Just add 1 to the kernel command line in grub. This
> > should (hopefully) get you to a shell.
>
> That was pretty much all I needed right there - basically, someone to remind
> me to slow the heck down and look at the simplest solution, first...
>
> I had made one typo in fstab (s/defaults/default/), the result of which was
> that the partition with /var on it was staying mounted read-only.  After I
> booted up like you suggested (that works exactly as stated, BTW) it didn't
> take too long to figure that one out.  Then:
>
> mount -n -o remount,rw /dev/xxxx /var

Well, one thing I changed in between 6.3-rc2 and the final release is
that the fsck in the checkfs script no longer throws away stderr. I'd
had no-boot errors twice because of typos in fstab which were silent
because of that. Booting still failed, but at least I got to see the
error being thrown by fsck. Here's the change:

http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/changeset/8315

Does that make a difference in your case?

> I used rc2 of the 6.3 version of the book; looks like a number of things
> changed between then and "release level"...  For one, I noticed that
> ifconfig was on the live CD (rc2 is still using "ip" to do everything).
> While I don't mind "ip", I'm tempted to use ifconfig from the standpoint of
> consistency...

Not too much changed between rc2 and the final edition, but you may be
interested in grabbing the final bootscripts and udev-config tarballs.
BTW, what you see on the LiveCD is LFS + lots of extras determined by
the LiveCD team. If you prefer ifconfig, you can always build
net-tools from BLFS.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/basicnet/net-tools.html

The builtin network services will still use ip, but you can use
ifconfig interactively or whatever. I think most people keep ifconfig
around for comfort's sake. I do, although I'm starting to get used to
the ip usage.

--
Dan