startup problem: system boots, /etc/rc.d/init.d/sysklogd "hangs": is there a good way to debug this?

support support at cslimits.net
Wed Sep 5 20:05:08 PDT 2007

Thanks, Dan -

> Before adding debugging to the functions, try booting to single user
> mode (level 1). Just add 1 to the kernel command line in grub. This
> should (hopefully) get you to a shell.

That was pretty much all I needed right there - basically, someone to remind
me to slow the heck down and look at the simplest solution, first...

I had made one typo in fstab (s/defaults/default/), the result of which was
that the partition with /var on it was staying mounted read-only.  After I
booted up like you suggested (that works exactly as stated, BTW) it didn't
take too long to figure that one out.  Then:

mount -n -o remount,rw /dev/xxxx /var

and about 10 seconds w vi put the problem to bed for good.  Everything seems
to work and it's fast as all get-out; not too shabby...

I used rc2 of the 6.3 version of the book; looks like a number of things
changed between then and "release level"...  For one, I noticed that
ifconfig was on the live CD (rc2 is still using "ip" to do everything).
While I don't mind "ip", I'm tempted to use ifconfig from the standpoint of
consistency...

While this isn't my first system build, it certainly was the least painful,
thanks largely to the book.  Initially, I was planning on using the book to
supplement my notes and nothing more; having used it, and having been
extremely impressed by it, I'm leaning very strongly now towards using it as
a "design document".  Next up is X and I can only hope that goes a fraction
as well.

Oh yeah - this machine is running kernel 2.6.23, rc4, with the -mm1
patchset.  The speed I've seen from the 2.6.23 kernels is like nothing else
I can remember...

Thanks again,

Larry