startup problem: system boots, /etc/rc.d/init.d/sysklogd "hangs": is there a good way to debug this?

support support at cslimits.net
Tue Sep 4 22:05:25 PDT 2007

Hi, everyone -

I've just about finished putting together an LFS system (BLFS) using v 6.3,
rc2, of the book; it's using one partition of a drive with several O/S's
installed on it & the GRUB that was there is booting all of them.

The problem I'm having is this: when the system hits sysklogd in what
appears to be runlevel 3 and runs "/etc/rc.d/init.d/sysklogd start", the
machine just sits there.  It's not locked up; it'll respond to
can't ^c out of the service though.

sysklogd prints my message && "Starting system log daemon", then nothing;
the system just sits there...  Unfortunately for me I'm not leaving much in
the way of a trail because the system log daemon isn't running yet.

Does this sound familiar to anyone, and/or can anybody think of a good way
to go about debugging this?  I tried running the binary "syslogd" already;
it seems to run fine in the chroot().  Best I can think of is to start
hacking at /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions && putting print stmts in it until I
(hopefully) find out where it's dying - I'm really hoping somebody can come
up with something better than that...

Thanks.

Larry