18 hours and counting

Steve Crosby steve.crosby at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 15:46:54 PDT 2007

On 9/2/07, J. Greenlees <lists at jaqui-greenlees.net> wrote:

<snip>

> and right now, make bootstrap of gcc4.1.2 pass1 of chapter 5 is at 35
> hours and 17 minutes.
> I may have to restart the build, with a larger swap partition to try to
> get this time down. just about to burn the lfslivecd-6.3 r2052. I'll

Way back when I was building LFS4.0 on my Pentium 100, I recall glibc
took over three and a half days to compile...that was with 64Mb RAM
though, and 128Mb swap. Since that event (took three weeks in total to
build LFS) I have used the cross compiling hint and my main desktop
running a VMWare instance of LFS CD to build my system and burn to CD,
then boot Pentium from that - works fine, build time is only a few
hours for current LFS + a few extras, resulting CD image is 34Mb

--
-- -
Steve Crosby