Device Driver

Rajeev Bansal rajeevb at intoto.com
Thu Nov 15 06:03:13 PST 2007

Hi JB,

Thanks for helping me.

Actually I have all the drivers compiled for that kernel as modules, I
just want those to load those for me at boot time.

Yeah I am working on the "lspci" command output and looking for vendor
ID and device ID in the /lib/module/'uname -r'/modules.pcimap file. But
I am wondering there is no ready to use tool which can do this for me. I
guess it must be a simple shell script file which can perform this task.

Thanks
Rajeev Bansal.

Juergen Beisert wrote:
> Rajeev,
>
> On Thursday 15 November 2007 11:31, Rajeev Bansal wrote:
>
>> Actually I am trying to build a customary Linux distribution with 2.6.20
>> Kernel, I am using the Busybox 1.7.0 in my root file system. So far
>> everything is fine I am able to boot the Kernel getting the shell
>> prompt. But I am not able to identify the connected hardware devices to
>> my system like Ethernet card etc.
>>

> PCI devices? Add the "lspci" command to your system. Or walk through
> the /sys/bus/pci directories manually to get vendor and device ids and check
> them against http://pciids.sourceforge.net/. Then rebuild your kernel with
> these drivers enabled.
>

>> So my question is, is there any way to
>> figure out the common devices and load it driver by itself at the bootup
>> time.
>>

> If you want to know something about your system, use the sys/. Its not easy to
> do so manually, but there are many tools around that could help you. Most of
> them based on the sys/ content.
>

>> Someone suggested me to use the diethotplog but I don't know how to use
>> that. I have downloaded the diethotplug 0.4 and compiled that
>> successfully for my Kernel but how can I run the hotplug binary. Does
>> diethotplug reads some configuration file?
>>

> IMHO, hotplug will not help. What kind of drivers it should load if you didn't
> compile them?
>
> JB

This email message (including any attachments) is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
and may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information. Any unauthorized review,
use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
please immediately notify the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.
Thank you.

Intoto Inc.