Device Driver

Juergen Beisert juergen127 at kreuzholzen.de
Thu Nov 15 05:44:05 PST 2007

Rajeev,

On Thursday 15 November 2007 11:31, Rajeev Bansal wrote:
> Actually I am trying to build a customary Linux distribution with 2.6.20
> Kernel, I am using the Busybox 1.7.0 in my root file system. So far
> everything is fine I am able to boot the Kernel getting the shell
> prompt. But I am not able to identify the connected hardware devices to
> my system like Ethernet card etc.

PCI devices? Add the "lspci" command to your system. Or walk through
the /sys/bus/pci directories manually to get vendor and device ids and check
them against http://pciids.sourceforge.net/. Then rebuild your kernel with
these drivers enabled.

> So my question is, is there any way to
> figure out the common devices and load it driver by itself at the bootup
> time.

If you want to know something about your system, use the sys/. Its not easy to
do so manually, but there are many tools around that could help you. Most of
them based on the sys/ content.

> Someone suggested me to use the diethotplog but I don't know how to use
> that. I have downloaded the diethotplug 0.4 and compiled that
> successfully for my Kernel but how can I run the hotplug binary. Does
> diethotplug reads some configuration file?

IMHO, hotplug will not help. What kind of drivers it should load if you didn't
compile them?

JB