LFS-6.3: Binutils-2.17 - Pass 1 Failed

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Nov 13 18:52:49 PST 2007

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 05:35:24PM -0500, Baho Utot wrote:

> I did just do a yum update and it did upgrade gcc and company.
>
> It still just throws errors when I try to compile binutils.
>
> I just compiled ecryptfs and keyutils and installed it on the build machine,
> and it is Ok and works.

 That makes no sense to me - almost anything with a 'configure'
script will check that the compiler works, and any compiled program
will probably link agaisnt libgcc_s.

> > You *should* find libgcc_s.so{,.1} in /usr/lib on a
> > 32-bit host.  Maybe you can use rpm to check the gcc installation
> > and fix it.
> >

> Yes, I did found it but it is over there -->
> baho-utot at scrat ~]$ ls -l /lib/libgcc*
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 45064 Jun 27 17:58 /lib/libgcc_s-4.1.2-20070626.so.1
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    28 Nov 12 19:21 /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 ->
> libgcc_s-4.1.2-20070626.so.1

 Distros, choice, standards.  I looked on the system I was using
(CLFS, I think).  Anyway, you have it (_if_ gcc --version reports
something like 4.1.2), but gcc isn't finding it.  I'm afraid I'm not
any good at debugging _how_ gcc should find it.

[...]
> Found nothing in the gcc --dumpspecs with any reference to /tools
>
> I did find this though:
>
> [root at scrat ~]# find / -name specs
> /media/FC6/usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/4.1.1/specs
> /media/RH9/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2.2/specs
> /media/RH9/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux7/2.96/specs
> /media/RH9/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-31.9/fs/umsdos/specs
>
> Maybe gcc is getting confused?.... Maybe I am confused? :)
>
> I found no specs file other than the above but they are for other systems that
> I boot to from grub.
>
> I'll try to umount the partitions in /media and retry
> binutils.

 On the face of it, they were mounted at /media/FC6 and
/media/RH9 when updatedb last ran (you keep CDs/DVDs in the drives
_and_ you have multiple drives ?).
> I was thinking of compiling gcc into /opt and then removing the rpm version of
> gcc, then recompling gcc to its "proper place",  But that is a huge task as
> rpm wants to pretty much remove the entire "build system" due to
> dependencies.
>
> Maybe this will give me the push to install FC 7 and start over from there :)

 One of the reasons I came here in the first place was an aversion
to rpm.  Either fix the install (no, I don't know how), or install
FC7, or compile gcc into /opt and then always put that first on your
normal path in fedora.  At all costs, don't give rpm the opportunity
to trash a system ;-)  In theory, it's probably something simple,
but none of us here are fedora experts.  Damage is usually caused
when we do something different from what we thought we were doing,
which is why it will help if you can remember what you think you
changed.  In theory, the yum update might have done the damage, but
that seems unlikely.

ĸen