LFS-6.3: Binutils-2.17 - Pass 1 Failed

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Nov 13 03:40:41 PST 2007

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 07:42:59PM -0500, Baho Utot wrote:
> I am at the start of Chapter 5 trying to compile Binutils-2.17 pass - 1.
> I am using Fedora core 6 as the build platform.
>
> I get the following error when running this:
> (cut and paste from the book to the command line)
>
> CC="gcc -B/usr/bin/" ../binutils-2.17/configure \
>     --prefix=/tools --disable-nls --disable-werror
>
> checking whether ln works... yes
> checking whether ln -s works... yes
> checking for gcc... gcc -B/usr/bin/
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc -B/usr/bin/  ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
> create executables.
>
> configure:1980: checking whether the C compiler (gcc -B/usr/bin/  ) works
> configure:1996: gcc -B/usr/bin/ -o conftest    conftest.c  1>&5
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

 libgcc_s is a part of gcc, you can't compile if it doesn't exist
(or if it isn't found).

> What has me stumped is that I built an entire LFS version 6.2 on this very
> same PC.  After building LFS-6.2 I copied it to another PC which I now use as
> a server.  I would have used the LFS-6.2 build to build LFS-6.3 but I removed
> it from the build PC as I needed the partition to build LFS-6.3 :(

 You seem to have damaged the fedora installation.  If you were able
to compile anything recently, think back to what you have changed
since then.  You *should* find libgcc_s.so{,.1} in /usr/lib on a
32-bit host.  Maybe you can use rpm to check the gcc installation
and fix it.

 I suppose it's just about possible that you managed to create a
specs file on the fedora host during your build of 6.2: try "gcc
-dumpspecs | grep '/tools'" - If it finds any matches, delete the
specs file from the host.

ĸen