LFS-6.3: Binutils-2.17 - Pass 1 Failed

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Mon Nov 12 16:42:59 PST 2007

I am at the start of Chapter 5 trying to compile Binutils-2.17 pass - 1.
I am using Fedora core 6 as the build platform.

I get the following error when running this:
(cut and paste from the book to the command line)

CC="gcc -B/usr/bin/" ../binutils-2.17/configure \
    --prefix=/tools --disable-nls --disable-werror

checking whether ln works... yes
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for gcc... gcc -B/usr/bin/
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -B/usr/bin/  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables.

Here is the entire configure.log:

This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

configure:611: checking host system type
configure:632: checking target system type
configure:650: checking build system type
configure:705: checking for a BSD compatible install
configure:758: checking whether ln works
configure:782: checking whether ln -s works
configure:1867: checking for gcc
configure:1980: checking whether the C compiler (gcc -B/usr/bin/  ) works
configure:1996: gcc -B/usr/bin/ -o conftest    conftest.c  1>&5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:

#line 1991 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

main(){return(0);}

As you see it doesn't get too far.

I had a look at the mail archives which states to use CC="gcc -B/usr/bin" for
problems on Fedora 6, which you can see that I did indeed pass that to
configure.

What has me stumped is that I built an entire LFS version 6.2 on this very
same PC.  After building LFS-6.2 I copied it to another PC which I now use as
a server.  I would have used the LFS-6.2 build to build LFS-6.3 but I removed
it from the build PC as I needed the partition to build LFS-6.3 :(