Glibc make failure. s-proto.d needed by kill.o

Charles Turner lookatmymanbreasts at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 05:41:37 PST 2007

> The problem is that glibc is being compiled in $LFS/tools - that is known to have
> issues. You need to build the packages somewhere else, such as the
> book's suggested location $LFS/sources.

Yep, seems I have misunderstood the instructions, I quote the book,

"Downloaded packages and patches will need to be stored somewhere that
is conveniently available throughout the entire build. A working
directory is also required to unpack the sources and build them.
$LFS/sources can be used both as the place to store the tarballs and
patches and as a working directory."

And a little later on, instructions for the $LFS/tools directory,

"All programs compiled in Chapter 5  will be installed under $LFS/tools"

Does that just confuse me, or would this be better with a little more
clarification? Obviously, people reading this email aren't getting the
snippets in context, when in context, it does make sense if you read
it *carefully*. Maybe it's just me though. :-)

Thank you for helping me out on this one, that worked like a charm.

Kind Regards,

On 11/11/2007, Chris Staub <chris at beaker67.com> wrote:
> jasin wrote:
> > I am not sure, but
> >
> > /mnt/henry/tools/glibc-build/signal/kill.o'.  Stop.
> >
> > 'henry' is not in the lfs manual. I presume this needs to be 'lfs'
> > instead but I am not sure how u changed that setting.
> >
> This does not matter - if $LFS=/mnt/henry then that's fine. The problem
> is that glibc is being compiled in $LFS/tools - that is known to have
> issues. You need to build the packages somewhere else, such as the
> book's suggested location $LFS/sources.
> --

Never mistake motion for action...

Charles Henry Turner