gcc compile error

jasin jasin at stny.rr.com
Thu Nov 8 14:13:05 PST 2007

I have searched for a couple hours now with no answer to fix my problem.
When I issue the command

'make bootstrap'

to compile gcc 4.12 I keep getting this error

/lib/libc.so.6: file not recognized: File format not recognized
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [libgcc_s.so] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-build/gcc'
make[2]: *** [stmp-multilib] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-build/gcc'
make[1]: *** [stage1_build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-build/gcc'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
lfs at ubuntu:/mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-build$

Can someone point me in the right direction. I am on a amd 64 bit system
running ubuntu if that makes a difference. I really don't wanna use the
liveCD so if someone can explain this, would be great.

Jasin