symlink in 5.4

Clyde Forrester ccf3 at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 7 14:31:22 PST 2007

I'm attempting LFS 6.3 using the LFS Live 6.3 CD.
At the end of 5.4 GCC-4.1.2 - Pass 1
I am to create a symlink.
"ln -vs gcc /tools/bin/cc"

The context puzzles me.
I have been burned before by not reading the "! Important" parts in 5.1
So I pay attention to those now.
So it says "After installing each package, delete its source and build
directories..."

The way I figure, near the end of 5.4, I'm in $LFS/sources/gcc-build .
Then I create a symlink,
and dutifully step out of gcc-build,
and nuke both gcc-build and gcc-4.1.2 directories from orbit,
taking the symlink with it.

So, what I'm I missing or not understanding here?

Should I be deleting the source and build directories first,
and then creating the symlink in $LFS/sources ?

Clyde Forrester