Building lfs via ssh

Tony Sequeira tony at sequeira.org.uk
Sun Nov 4 05:06:44 PST 2007

On Sun, 2007-11-04 at 04:39 -0800, Richard Caldwell wrote:
> Hi,
>     I'm building lfs via open ssh. If I logout or get disconnected after issuing a command, does the command continue to run? I'm interested to know if I can issue 'make' or 'make install' commands for packages with long build times and then logout while the command is still running?

No, you will lose your session.  You have 2 options that I know of,
there may be more.

1) Use nohup

NOHUP(1)

NAME
       nohup - run a command immune to hangups, with output to a non-tty

SYNOPSIS
       nohup COMMAND [ARG]...
       nohup OPTION

DESCRIPTION
       Run COMMAND, ignoring hangup signals.

2) Use screen

SCREEN(1)

NAME
       screen - screen manager with VT100/ANSI terminal emulation

SYNOPSIS
       screen [ -options ] [ cmd [ args ] ]
       screen -r [[pid.]tty[.host]]
       screen -r sessionowner/[[pid.]tty[.host]]

DESCRIPTION
       Screen is a full-screen window manager that multiplexes a
physical ter-
       minal between several processes (typically interactive  shells).
Each.....

Regards.
--
S. Anthony Sequeira