SATA

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Thu Jun 28 01:51:48 PDT 2007

On Wednesday 27 June 2007 8:09 pm, Chris Staub wrote:
> Baho Utot wrote:
> > I have just finished installing LFS-6.2 jhalfs build on my notebook a
> > DELL INSPERION 1501.  It has a SATA hard drive controller.  The
> > motherboard is some kind of ATI board from dmesg and from the sys.log.
> >
> > I am currently booting LFS using all-generic-ide on the grub "kernel
> > line" and I want to change it to SATA.
> >
> > Does LFS support SATA out of the box?
>
> The kernel has a number of SATA drivers. Just select the one that
> matches your hardware.

I think I need to enable libata but I can not find where to enable it.  From
what I can determine it is under SCSI but I have not found it.

From what I can determine:
It also appears that the kernel does not have a driver specifically for the
hardware on the notebook.   I have FC6 installed and it seems to use libata
as determined by lsmod.  From lspci -v on FC6 gives me a SATA controller ATI
Technologies Inc SB600 Non-Raid SATA.

I also see from the sys.log that I have some other "kernel" issues as the
sound hardware is not found and some other PCI devices failed initialization.
I am currently looking into this.  It is  ATI Tech. SB600 Azalia.

On a more positive note, LFS runs really fast on the AMD x2 TL-50,  top
reports 0.3% cpu utilization on CPU 1 and 0% on the other (system idle is
99.7 and 100% and CPU 1 reports 100% idle on some of the "top scans").  I
think it will be a fast system :)