Building full system in chroot?

Tijnema tijnema at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 11:06:59 PDT 2007

On 6/27/07, Darren Wilkinson <lfs at chipsugar.plus.com> wrote:
> Tijnema wrote:

> >> Have you considered a VMWare virtual machine as an alternative to the chroot
> >> environment?  Seems to address all your concerns.
> >>
> >> Tony
> >>

> > Hmm, that would build against virtual hardware right? I don't think
> > I'll be able to boot the system from the system build in VMWare...
> >
> > Tijnema
> >

> As long as you don't put any extra optimization flags in you should have
> no problems. I've just built my 1st lfs on a virtual machine (qemu) and
> it is now running on my main pc just fine. Also some pc emulators
> support savestates so you can stop partway through a "make" and resume
> at the same point later.
>

> Also if you do want to do some optimizing you could always rebuild just
> the cpu hungry stuff like kde etc later on the main system.

I never used optimisation flags myself, but don't some configure
programs detect those optimisation things automatically and add these
settings to CFLAGS?

I don't feel I need optimisation, because it is already damn fast
compared to my windows machines ;)

Tijnema

--
Vote for PHP Color Coding in Gmail! -> http://gpcc.tijnema.info