Building full system in chroot?

paul.rogers at juno.com paul.rogers at juno.com
Mon Jun 25 09:09:41 PDT 2007

>I'm planning on rebuilding my complete {,B}LFS, but I can't live
>without it for a long time. So my question is, can I build the
>complete {,B}LFS system in a chroot environment? That means building
>X, KDE, Apache, PHP and all of their dependencies, like GTK, QT...

Possibly, but IMO, it's not advisable and there's little advantage.  When you get the base LFS built, let it take over.  Then there's no question that anything you build has connections to the previous host.  That's not to say that you shouldn't do prep work from the host for that time.  You should have all your BLFS, etc., tarballs downloaded, ready for compilation.  At least have your "essentials" ready, a favorite editor, security tools, favorite downloader (snarf, ftp, et al).

Paul Rogers  (paul.rogers at juno.com)
http://www.xprt.net/~pgrogers/