Text stops before end of screen

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 13 14:53:57 PDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 05:27:23PM -0400, Colin Kemp wrote:
> Hello
>
> im building LFS 6.1.1 and am at the part with the chroot. the chroot
> works fine, but when i type commands, the text wraps to the next line
> after filling about half the screen. this only happens with commands,
> everything else is displayed normally. I am using the livecd 6.1.1-4
> as a host. Any help is appreciated, as i have built LFS many times
> and this is the first time this has happened, and i really dont want
> to start over again :-)

 Maybe $TERM has become corrupted ?  I regularly build in urxvt (a
better xterm, if you like, but not recognised by ncurses' terminfo)
and the command lines don't wrap to a new line.

 But, the thought of building such an old version horrifies me!

 Also, as I said to somebody else a few days ago in slightly
different terms - if you stay with LFS (and I'm pleased you do),
you really need to write scripts.  Yes, for a first build just type
it in to learn.  But the thought of typing in each command line
for repeated builds scares me.  Some people use jhalfs, others write
their own scripts.  And yes, updating scripts to catch the changes
from one release to the next takes time, but with modern browsers it
is far easier than "blindly" typing the text and sometimes thinking
"I don't remember doing that before", and helps you see what did
change.

ĸen