6.25 installing autoconf

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 13 08:31:40 PDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 05:13:56PM +0200, Philippe Delavalade wrote:
> Many thanks for answers but how can I remove perl ? I presume it is not
> right to just reinstall it.
>
> I tried
> make uninstall
> but there is no rule :-)
 Never trust uninstall rules, they are rarely tested as much as the
make and install.  Some years ago, one of the packages in LFS was
known to do the wrong thing (for us) when people ran 'make
uninstall' - although ISTR the maintainer could justify what it did.

 If perl went into /usr/local, and you still have perl in /tools,
delete the files and directories from /usr/local (particularly, the
executable(s) from /usr/local/bin) - there shouldn't be any files
intentionally installed to /usr/local at this stage of your build.

> My question is certainly stupid but I didn't found anything on this
> neither in the book nor in the FAQ.
>
> When installing perl I pass the right prefix but may be I did a mistake
> when running the interractive configure script :-(

 For perl, you have to remember that it predates modern configure
processes (so, it has an excuse, unlike mozilla's descendants - yes,
I feel like a bit of gratuitous abuse ;-), but if I were to describe
perl's configury as a maze of horrid dark alleyways I would be
understating the problem.

 I must admit, I have problems understanding why we still mention
running configure interactively.  I recall a past thread where Dan,
I think, pointed out that running the interactive configure after a
non-interactive did bad things.  So, either go with the
non-interactive, or remove the perl sources and re-extract them
before running the interactive configure.
> Thanks
>
> Philippe

 And please don't top-post in future.

ĸen