Headers problems

Wit WitlessIdiot at triad.rr.com
Tue Jun 12 14:02:28 PDT 2007

Tijnema wrote:
> <snip>

>>> The directory's /proc/acpi/thermal_zone exist, but that one is empty.
>>> Please look at this:
>>> cat config-2.6.17.11 | grep ACPI
>>> # Power management options (ACPI, APM)
>>> # ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support
>>> CONFIG_ACPI=y
>>> CONFIG_ACPI_AC=y
>>> CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=y
>>> CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=y
>>> CONFIG_ACPI_VIDEO=y
>>> # CONFIG_ACPI_HOTKEY is not set
>>> CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=y
>>> CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=y
>>> CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=y
>>> # CONFIG_ACPI_ASUS is not set
>>> # CONFIG_ACPI_IBM is not set
>>> # CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA is not set
>>> CONFIG_ACPI_BLACKLIST_YEAR=0
>>> # CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG is not set
>>> CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
>>> CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
>>> CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
>>> # CONFIG_ACPI_CONTAINER is not set
>>> CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_ACPI=y
>>> CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_ACPI_IBM=y
>>> CONFIG_PNPACPI=y
>>>
>>> Seems that i've enabled enough ACPI options right?
>>>
>> Yes. But maybe you need this too?
>>
>> CONFIG_X86_MCE_P4THERMAL=y
>>

> I have that one enabled too, any more suggestions?
>

>> Just in case, I'll show my other acpi-related params from both my CentOS
>> systems.
>>
>> My CentOS 4.5 has these.
>>
>> CONFIG_ACPI=y
>> CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=y
>> CONFIG_ACPI_INTERPRETER=y
>> CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y
>> CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP_PROC_FS=y
>> CONFIG_ACPI_AC=m
>> CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=m
>> CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=m
>> CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=y
>> CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=y
>> CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=y
>> CONFIG_ACPI_ASUS=m
>> CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA=m
>> CONFIG_ACPI_BLACKLIST_YEAR=2001
>> # CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG is not set
>> CONFIG_ACPI_BUS=y
>> CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
>> CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
>> CONFIG_ACPI_PCI=y
>> CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
>>
>> This system has an SiS chipset, IIRC and seems to not need a special
>> module, as I see none in the lsmod output.
>>
>> And my 5.0 has this
>>
>> CONFIG_ACPI=y
>> CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y
>> CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP_PROC_FS=y
>> # CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP_PROC_SLEEP is not set
>> CONFIG_ACPI_AC=m
>> CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=m
>> CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=m
>> CONFIG_ACPI_VIDEO=m
>> # CONFIG_ACPI_HOTKEY is not set
>> CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=y
>> CONFIG_ACPI_DOCK=y
>> CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=y
>> CONFIG_ACPI_HOTPLUG_CPU=y
>> CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=y
>> CONFIG_ACPI_ASUS=m
>> CONFIG_ACPI_IBM=m
>> CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA=m
>> CONFIG_ACPI_BLACKLIST_YEAR=1999
>> # CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG is not set
>> CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
>> CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
>> CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
>> CONFIG_ACPI_CONTAINER=y
>> CONFIG_ACPI_SBS=m
>>
>> Also,  the 5.0 has an inserted module, asus_acpi. I don't think every
>> system needs a special driver though, whether module or compiled in. But
>> you may need to check extended explanations in kernel config and see if
>> you might need the IBM/ASUS/TOSHIBA driver enabled?
>>

> I have an Biostart M7VKD mobo, with 2 VIA chipsets on it, so I guess I
> don't need anything built in/ module.

Well, the second system is a VIA 8237-based system and is the one with
the asus module enabled and inserted at boot time.

<snip>

> Ok, just to make sure the CPU cooling was good enough, I placed 3 fans
> on it, all 3 in right direction, so that it got ultra cooled :)
> Still, it didn't pass the GCC testsuite, as it stopped after maybe
> 30-60 seconds.

Is this still underclocked or at rated speed now? If underclocked, it
certainly *should* indicate that it is something other than CPU heat.
But to be sure, I would get the lmsensors that the other poster
suggested too. That would at least confirm that the CPU is cool.
Pointing 3 fans would not help if the problem was a really dirty heat
sink, poor thermal transfer from the core to the heat sink, etc.

One thing we haven't considered in depth: maybe the CPU is bad? If you
have another system you can pop it into and see if behaves the same,
that might remove doubts either way.

I also become increasingly concerned with the mention of the capacitors
and repair you did (IIRC?). Both would seem a "most likely" culprit,
based on all the other things discussed. Putting the CPU in another mobo
and running similar tests should confirm if it is related to CPU or
something else in the system.

>> <snip>

> Tomorrow I will try the system with a  Asus 350W PSU, which now runs
> an AMD X2 4400+ with 2 HDDs and a GeForce 7600GT..., should be enough
> for my old system :)

Results?

--
Wit