Headers problems

Bauke Jan Douma bjdouma at xs4all.nl
Sat Jun 9 15:54:38 PDT 2007

Tijnema wrote on 09-06-07 23:01:
>> I just realized what you said here. What you can touch at this point is
>> *not* the CPU at all. It is essentially the carrier. The CPU is the
>> little raised portion in the center of the "carrier". It is the only
>> part that will normally get very hot. The outer edges of the whole
>> assembly will normally see very little heat, relative to what the core sees.
>>
>> Wit
>
> Oh, yeah, never realised that ...
>
> I guess I need to open the case and take a look from the side to see
> if there's maybe a very little space between the CPU cooling block and
> core itself. but can't live too long without my server :P
> I'll try turning the cooling block 180 degrees now, and see if that
> matters in any way.

Well, it's either stop complaining about those hardware problems
here then, or really get it over with and tackle them.

Get a decent power supply.
Get a decent cooler that's properly hooked up to the motherboard.
Buy some new heat dissipater compound.
The fan must blow /into/ the heatsink.
Don't use finger to estimate temperature.

bjd