Headers problems

Tijnema tijnema at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 14:01:15 PDT 2007

On 6/9/07, Wit <WitlessIdiot at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> Tijnema wrote:

> > Thermal paste must be dryed out, but that doesn't mean it should reset
> > automatically...
> > I remember the time when I bought this motherboard, it was a quite
> > useless motherboard because there are quite a lot condensators very
> > close to the CPU cooling block, which makes it very hard to place the
> > CPU cooling block. When it's on, it actually pushes to the
> > condensators next to it. really worse situation, but it's te only way
> > i can get the cooling block on. Also, the cooling block is not
> > symetric, it makes sense how it's placed (differs ~ 20 degrees C),
> > I've took the block off a few times, so I might turned it back on last
> > time, but when the cooling block is on, I can actually touch the CPU
> > itself a little bit, and it doesn't feel too hot...
> >

> I just realized what you said here. What you can touch at this point is
> *not* the CPU at all. It is essentially the carrier. The CPU is the
> little raised portion in the center of the "carrier". It is the only
> part that will normally get very hot. The outer edges of the whole
> assembly will normally see very little heat, relative to what the core sees.
>
> Wit

Oh, yeah, never realised that ...

I guess I need to open the case and take a look from the side to see
if there's maybe a very little space between the CPU cooling block and
core itself. but can't live too long without my server :P
I'll try turning the cooling block 180 degrees now, and see if that
matters in any way.

Tijnema