Headers problems

Tijnema tijnema at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 11:25:21 PDT 2007

On 6/9/07, Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 03:36:07AM +0200, Tijnema wrote:
> >
> > It just went down, after i ran the GCC testsuite again, left screen
> > shows test suite, right screen show last update of top before it went
> > down.
> > Screen:
> > http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/3600/topyp3.png
> >
> > Please have a look at it, as I don't see anything weird, and CPU usage
> > isn't too high, but screen is only updated once in 3 seconds it looks,
> > so the actual CPU usage at reboot point might be slightly different...
> >
>  Loads of free memory, not in to swap, load average a little over 2,
> 98 processes - I suppose that is normal for a test suite with X
> serving things up to a different machine.  I still suspect the cpu
> cooler - I think you said you had to replace the fan - the
> replacement might not have enough airflow, or might be blowing the
> wrong way (it should blow onto the heatsink, not away from it) -
> those are errors I made on my amigaone.  On the other hand, it might
> perhaps be something about the test that triggers a motherboard
> fault (e.g. capacitors wearing out).

I made that kind of mistakes a lot, but I did checked it a few times,
fan is spinning at about 3000-3300 RPM.

>  I'm not sufficiently familiar with the testsuite to remember if a
> series of internal compiler errors (at least two) are normal, but
> I think they are not.  Again, that points the finger at heat or the
> memory or the power supply.  I think you said earlier that the
> heatsink was not too warm, but what matters is the cpu sitting under
> it (e.g. inadequate contact).

These errors aren't normal, but they appear because i've f***ed around
with the source, so they don't have anything to do with the reset of
the pc.

>  Whatever it is, I recommend you to take good backups in case it is
> on its way out (I long ago lost a disk and CDROM when a motherboard
> failed).
>
> ĸen

You think I have plenty of space to backup everything? total disk
space is around 560GB, have some space left, so about 500GB of
data..., I don't have that much free space on other PC's, so most
important files are already backed up, but if the harddrive crashes, I
will need to recover it ...

Tijnema