Headers problems

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jun 9 06:07:49 PDT 2007

On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 03:36:07AM +0200, Tijnema wrote:

> It just went down, after i ran the GCC testsuite again, left screen
> shows test suite, right screen show last update of top before it went
> down.
> Screen:
> http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/3600/topyp3.png
>
> Please have a look at it, as I don't see anything weird, and CPU usage
> isn't too high, but screen is only updated once in 3 seconds it looks,
> so the actual CPU usage at reboot point might be slightly different...

 Loads of free memory, not in to swap, load average a little over 2,
98 processes - I suppose that is normal for a test suite with X
serving things up to a different machine.  I still suspect the cpu
cooler - I think you said you had to replace the fan - the
replacement might not have enough airflow, or might be blowing the
wrong way (it should blow onto the heatsink, not away from it) -
those are errors I made on my amigaone.  On the other hand, it might
perhaps be something about the test that triggers a motherboard
fault (e.g. capacitors wearing out).

 I'm not sufficiently familiar with the testsuite to remember if a
series of internal compiler errors (at least two) are normal, but
I think they are not.  Again, that points the finger at heat or the
memory or the power supply.  I think you said earlier that the
heatsink was not too warm, but what matters is the cpu sitting under
it (e.g. inadequate contact).

 Whatever it is, I recommend you to take good backups in case it is
on its way out (I long ago lost a disk and CDROM when a motherboard
failed).

ĸen