Headers problems

Tijnema tijnema at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 18:26:08 PDT 2007

On 6/9/07, Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 11:23:19PM +0200, Tijnema wrote:
> >
> > It can build GCC fine, I've builded a complete GCC package (Including
> > ada, fortran,...) lately, I just didn't run GCC testsuite completely,
> > but compiling and installing works fine, and gcc works fine now :)
> >
>  Oh, I misunderstood.  Testing should be easier than compiling, a
> lot of the time the box sits fairly idle during tests.

Hmm, it's always at the same point, or atleast the same file:
/gcc/testsuite/gcc.c-torture/execute/execute.exp

> > I can swap psu of the thing, but that's it, I don't have replacement
> > parts for such old PC... I mean it's socket A with SD Ram...
> > Oh yeah, i can replace GFX card and LAN card etc, but would that
> > matter? I don't think so...
> >

>  I've known memory to fail, particularly PC100/PC133 SDRAM, but you
> said you had run memtest.  Unrelatedly, I was idly reading a
> magazine this afternoon which showed how to thermal paste, and
> showed an athlon XP in the picture (the answer, as you probably
> know, is "use as little as possible").

Yes, i've ran memtest lately, maybe i'll run it again once these days...
I think my thermal paste is gone :P dryed out or such.

>  I suppose you could try lm_sensors.  Build _all_ the possible
> sensors as modules, let the package try them out and hope it doesn't
> lock up the box modprobing isa etc, then see if the results (if any)
> make any sense - often, you need a degree in the black arts to get
> the configuration correct, but I suppose you could keep an eye on
> indicated voltages and temperatures while running a test.

Hmm, didn't know of that program, and will defenitly take a look at it
, thanks :)

> > And how sure are you that it is a hardware problem, and not a software
> > problem? Maybe a specific number of simultaneous threads?
> >

>  I'm not especially sure, but your hardware is at least common and
> in wide use, so I'm fairly confident it doesn't have too many weird
> bugs.  I don't think the number of threads will make much difference
> - a non-SMP machine can schedule exactly one process at a time (and
> you'll have things like X, xterm, kswapd, kjournald kicking in even
> when it's nominally idle, so it is always switching processes
> although something like CONFIG_HZ_1000 would probably increase the
> overhead and hence the load.
Good to know :)

>  However, you said you had to underclock it to get it to boot.  That
> certainly sounds like a hardware problem.
yes, but it might be motherboard related or such, as when I had it at
full speed, what worked before but once stopped working, i don't even
get a screen, and fans aren't starting too...

>  If you can be bothered to try the things that usually lock it up,
> you could have 'top' running at the same time to see what sort of
> load average and swap usage you have.

I'm running top and the gcc testsuite now, but i'm using already
installed source with some weird symlinks, defenitly not the correct
way to test, but hope it works enough

>  My personal experience is that shutdowns or reboots are caused by
> (i) insane hardware (which doesn't apply to your case)
> (ii) hardware failing or just wearing out
> (iii) inadequate cooling
> (iv) cosmic rays, or suchlike - I went through a period at the
> start of the year when one of my x86_64 boxes would sporadically
> reboot.  Each time it was in X, so nothing made it to the logs, and
> each time it happened to be running a 32-bit kernel.  After taking
> it to lkml, the problem eventually disappeared.  In the meantime, a
> separate thread on lkml strayed into the area of "there has been a
> lot of cosmic ray (or alpha particle, or something - I no longer
> remember) activity which can cause 'random' errors".
>
> ĸen

I don't think i'm affected by IV either, because the pc is standing
alone in the room, no other digital things inside same room, so then
iot must come out of another room, but if that would be, than AMD
Athlon's couldn't be sold i think.

Then II and III are left, II might be the actual problem, i'm thinking
about a damaged motherboard, as I already repaired it a few times,
changed leaking condensators and such.
III is last option i think, but i think the problem came more or less
when the original fan was damaged and i replaced it with a standard
8CM fan..

Tijnema