Headers problems

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jun 8 10:08:20 PDT 2007

On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 05:34:29PM +0200, Tijnema wrote:
> On 6/8/07, Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> > > I'm currently at glibc-2.3.6, and I would love to upgrade it to
> > > glibc-2.6,
> >
> >  Why ?  I've only built glibc-2.6 on ppc64, to see if it helped with
> > the showstopper gcc-4.2 problems (it didn't), but I came across posts
> > on diy-linux pointing to some problems, both with itself (maybe
> > 2.6.1 will be released) and with its decision to include a version
> > of futimens().
>
> I hate old versions :P I want to keep my system up to date, so when I
> want to install a small app, i don't need to reinstall my complete
> system because glibc is outdated :P

 If glibc suddenly provides a new feature, it will take time for
applications to be altered to test for it and use it.  For
bug-fixes, no doubt they are nice (if they work correctly), but I
don't follow the toolchain lists so I've no idea what fixes have
gone in, or if any of the bugs are likely to bite me.

 As to your hardware problems, I can't think of anything else to
suggest.  If it was mine, I'd eventually be tempted to start swapping
things around (e.g. power supply) in case it helped (simply because a
box that can't build gcc isn't very useful to me).

ĸen