Headers problems

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 7 14:33:43 PDT 2007

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 10:23:33PM +0200, Tijnema wrote:

> Ok, thanks you both for your replies, i would expect the headers to be
> upgraded together with the kernel.

 No!  Please, repeat after me:
**Only upgrade the headers if you upgrade glibc**

 Sometimes, nasty things get sneaked into the kernel (e.g. the udev
changes around 2.6.15 or thereabouts), but in general you can update
to a newer kernel without changing userspace - if that wasn't true,
everybody would be hosed and testing new kernels would be doubly
hard.  You are thinking back to the days when people were misled
into keeping the kernel source in /usr/src/linux.  If you build a
new kernel, you can unpack it in ~/ (as a user), cat /proc/config.gz
 >.config, make oldconfig and then build it and try it out - if you
don't like it, go back to the earlier kernel while you sort out any
problems.
> But, you both say that a complete reinstall is recommended when
> upgrading Glibc, but I guess you both don't have Graphical desktop
> (X+KDE) and heavy programs (OOo) installed?
 I do have a partial kde install (base, kmix, graphics, utils,
kaffeine), but as I said earlier I avoid OOo.  Oh, and I use the
gimp, gnumeric, and abiword, plus what I think is xorg-7.2 (maybe
the occasional versions differ, I find it hard keeping track of the
versions for xorg).

 Dan thinks minor glibc version upgrades (2.3.5 to 2.3.6, maybe 2.6
to 2.6.1) are ok.
> I mean, if I upgrade glibc from 2.5 to 2.6, should I reinstall X, KDE,
> OOo and about 500 optional dependencies for X and KDE??
> If so, I won't even think of upgrading glibc :P
>
> Tijnema
 If you are going to stay with {,B}LFS long-term, you need to create
your own build-scripts.  In my case, my multilib builds, and
scripts, are lagging behind (multilib modular X is by no means
pretty), but for plain 32-bit (or pure64) I only need 5 scripts
after I've booted (that's somewhere around 185 packages, including a
chunk of things that aren't in BLFS, plus some extra fonts).

 OTOH, I don't build a lot of xorg and nowadays I can't even run twm
(probably missing old fonts).

ĸen