Headers problems

Tijnema tijnema at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 13:23:33 PDT 2007

On 6/7/07, Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 07:12:37AM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> > On 6/7/07, Tijnema <tijnema at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > So, if you want to upgrade the core components
> > > (Kernel+headers+glibc(+gcc?)), in which order would you install them?
> >
> > Gcc and binutils can be updated whenever you want, AFAIK. The kernel,
> > definitely whenever you want. But the headers and glibc should move in
> > lockstep. If you did more than a patchlevel upgrade of glibc, you'd
> > probably want to rebuild most everything.
> >
>  I pretty much go along with Dan here - I upgrade the kernel
> whenever I have time (in my case, I'm normally running test
> kernels).  I have been known to try extra versions of gcc, and very
> occasionally binutils, in /opt/newtools or somewhere else out of the
> way.  These days, I don't usually see any great reason to upgrade
> gcc, other than "somebody put a new version into LFS or clfs".  The
> big difference is that I don't bother with patchlevel upgrades of
> glibc for a running system.  Ever.  If I feel the need to upgrade
> glibc, I'll rebuild everything (having my own buildscripts for blfs
> helps ;).
>
>  I've got old systems lying around (mostly, they only take 3 or 4 GB
> - I share /home on its own fs, everything else except /boot is on a
> single and distinct filesystem - you can tell I don't build space
> hogs like OOo), so I can go back to them if I want to.  Generally,
> after 3 to 9 months I'll build a new system.  Occasionally it
> doesn't fly, and gets trashed (mostly, I catch these in test
> builds).  More usually, I'll build my full desktop (for gnome I
> typically go through one or two major versions each year, for the
> parts I use) and that becomes a current system.
>
>  I've got four desktop boxes available for normal use, one is dead
> slow and x86 only, one is ppc|ppc64, and the other two run x86 or
> some flavour of x86_64 according to how I'm feeling.  All my mail,
> sourcecode, photos, and sound live on a 'server' box.  Having a KVM
> switch helps.  In the past, I had one regular box, and another for
> test builds.

> clfs.
>
> ĸen
> --

Ok, thanks you both for your replies, i would expect the headers to be
upgraded together with the kernel.
But, you both say that a complete reinstall is recommended when
upgrading Glibc, but I guess you both don't have Graphical desktop
(X+KDE) and heavy programs (OOo) installed?
I mean, if I upgrade glibc from 2.5 to 2.6, should I reinstall X, KDE,
OOo and about 500 optional dependencies for X and KDE??
If so, I won't even think of upgrading glibc :P

Tijnema