Headers problems

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 7 11:53:17 PDT 2007

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 07:12:37AM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On 6/7/07, Tijnema <tijnema at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > So, if you want to upgrade the core components
> > (Kernel+headers+glibc(+gcc?)), in which order would you install them?
>
> Gcc and binutils can be updated whenever you want, AFAIK. The kernel,
> definitely whenever you want. But the headers and glibc should move in
> lockstep. If you did more than a patchlevel upgrade of glibc, you'd
> probably want to rebuild most everything.

 I pretty much go along with Dan here - I upgrade the kernel
whenever I have time (in my case, I'm normally running test
kernels).  I have been known to try extra versions of gcc, and very
occasionally binutils, in /opt/newtools or somewhere else out of the
way.  These days, I don't usually see any great reason to upgrade
gcc, other than "somebody put a new version into LFS or clfs".  The
big difference is that I don't bother with patchlevel upgrades of
glibc for a running system.  Ever.  If I feel the need to upgrade
glibc, I'll rebuild everything (having my own buildscripts for blfs
helps ;).

 I've got old systems lying around (mostly, they only take 3 or 4 GB
- I share /home on its own fs, everything else except /boot is on a
single and distinct filesystem - you can tell I don't build space
hogs like OOo), so I can go back to them if I want to.  Generally,
after 3 to 9 months I'll build a new system.  Occasionally it
doesn't fly, and gets trashed (mostly, I catch these in test
builds).  More usually, I'll build my full desktop (for gnome I
typically go through one or two major versions each year, for the
parts I use) and that becomes a current system.

 I've got four desktop boxes available for normal use, one is dead
slow and x86 only, one is ppc|ppc64, and the other two run x86 or
some flavour of x86_64 according to how I'm feeling.  All my mail,
sourcecode, photos, and sound live on a 'server' box.  Having a KVM
switch helps.  In the past, I had one regular box, and another for
test builds.

clfs.

ĸen