Problem with compiling Binutils (pass 1).

Frank Alcantara 2007.frank at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 20:55:22 PDT 2007

On 6/5/07, Miguel Bazdresch <lfs-01 at thewizardstower.org> wrote:
> Frank Alcantara wrote:
> > The first two run ok without errors. The last step: cp -v ld/ld-new
> > /tools/bin does not do anything.
>
> It should at least output an error message...
>
> > ld/ld-new does not exist at this
> > point because it was aparently deleted by the first step: make -C ld
> > clean
>
> But it should have been recreated by the second make.
>
> > Should I do  cp -v ld/ld-new /tools/bin  before I do the make clean
> > command? Is make clean not supposed to rm that directory? Can I ignore
> > that error?
>
> You shouldn't change the order of the commands and you shouldn't
> ignore the error. Could you post the exact error you're getting and
> verify you're issuing the two make commands?
>
> --
> Miguel Bazdresch
> http://thewizardstower.org/
> --

Thank you for the replies. I started over again. As before, make, and
make install did not give any errors. make -C ld clean appeared to
finish fine as well. The error actually starts at the next step. I did
not catch it last time.

lfs at ubuntu:/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-build$make -C ld LIB_PATH=/tools/lib

the error I receive is:

gcc -W -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -g -O2 -o ld-new
ldgram.o ldlex.o lexsup.o ldlang.o mri.o ldctor.o ldmain.o ldwrite.o
ldexp.o ldemul.o ldver.o ldmisc.o ldfile.o ldcref.o eelf_i386.o
ei386linux.o  ../bfd/.libs/libbfd.a ../libiberty/libiberty.a
/tools/bin/ld: unrecognized option '--hash-style=both'
/tools/bin/ld: use the --help option for usage information
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [ld-new] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-build/ld'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-build/ld'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-build/ld'
lfs at ubuntu:/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-build$

If I ignore the error and go on to the next step I receive:

lfs at ubuntu:/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-build$ cp -v ld/ld-new /tools/bin
cp: cannot stat `ld/ld-new': No such file or directory
lfs at ubuntu:/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-build$