How To Figure Out What Module Supports Your IDE/SCSI/SATA controller?

Spahn, Daniel dspahn at cuh2a.com
Sun Jun 3 18:32:40 PDT 2007

I have not done a lot yet with LFS, but in my experience with a few
different distributions, it has consistently been capabilities built
into the kernel- LiveCD's, such as Gentoo, Knoppix, and of course the
LFS liveCD have built-in detection of many different types of hardware.
If you are trying for a one-size-fits-all approach, why not check out
the .config for one of those kernels (They should be in the Kernel
source tree...) and see how they are configured? I know for a fact that
the Gentoo kernel uses some sort of script called genkernel.

Additionally, you could just configure your kernel to load all the
drivers that *might* work regardless (i.e. use "y" instead of "m")

I know this doesn't answer your question, but maybe it will point you in
some helpful directions.