How To Figure Out What Module Supports Your IDE/SCSI/SATA controller?

junk at realtechtalk.com junk at realtechtalk.com
Sun Jun 3 13:50:45 PDT 2007

Hi guys

I'm still scratching my head to figure out how hardware autodetection
works, specifically for hard drive controllers.

My basic formula is use lspci.

Here is an example:

00:10.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c1030 PCI-X
Fusion-MPT Dual Ultra320 SCSI (rev 01)

I know the mptscsih module works for the above device.
However, if I didn't just happen to know I wouldn't have a clue what
module to load for driver support.

Is there a simple automated way, eg. a script that can figure out what
driver is bested suited to the controller?

Thanks guys

I know if anyone knows it will be a genius from this list!