xkb

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jul 25 09:16:03 PDT 2007

On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 05:28:50PM +0200, gerhard.ramsebner at uni-ak.ac.at wrote:
> I installed Xorg-7.1 but I cannot change my keymap settings.
>
> # setxkbmap -print
> Couldn't interpret _XKB_RULES_NAMES property
> Use defaults: rules - 'xorg' model - 'pc105' layout - 'us'
> Couldn't find rules file (xorg)
>
> I also do not have the /usr/lib/X11/xkb directory mentioned in 'man
> setkbmap'.
>
> I installed libs in that order:
>         xtrans libXau libXdmcp libX11 libXext \
>         libAppleWM libdmx libfontenc libFS libICE \
>         liblbxutil liboldX libSM libWindowsWM libXt \
>         libXmu libXpm libXaw libXfixes libXcomposite \
>         libXrender libXrandr libXcursor libXdamage \
>         libXevie libXfont libXfontcache libXft libXi \
>         libXinerama libxkbfile libxkbui libXp libXprintUtil \
>         libXprintAppUtil libXres libXScrnSaver libXTrap \
>         libXtst libXv libXvMC libXxf86dga libXxf86misc libXxf86vm

 Usually, it isn't a library problem.  Either you missed xkbdata, or
it got put in the wrong place.  If you have xorg.lst in a different
place, you can symlink /usr/lib/X11/xkb to wherever you put it.

 The xkb directory contains a number of other directories (compat,
geometry, keycodes, keymap, rules, symbols are probably the more
interesting) as well as e.g. compat.dir geometry.dir (so you can
search for those if you know you installed it _somewhere_).

ĸen
--
day eine Mal als Tragödie, das andere Mal als Farce