kernel panic after installation

William Harrington wwh04660 at ucmo.edu
Wed Jul 25 00:46:46 PDT 2007

On Jul 23, 2007, at 9:13 AM, White-Hat at gmx.net wrote:

> Hello all.
> I managed to install LFS on my pc (took me 10 hours but was really
> an experience) from the live cd. Now when I try to boot into my LFS
> I get the following lines after some normal boot messages:
>
> VFS: Cannot open root device "hdb2" or unknown-block(0,0)
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-
> block(0,0)

Hello,

  This means the kernel found no drives. You need to have the driver
for the controller in the kernel and the disk block device driver in
the kernel, whether ide or sata. You may very well have chose the
wrong driver for your controller or you have the right controller and
the block device driver isn't attaching to drives that were found by
the controller, or you just forgot the block device driver and/or the
controller. Check that you have the write drivers installed into the
kernel. If the kernel can't detect any drives, it'll never open your
rootfs.

Sincerely,

William