kernel panic after installation

White-Hat at gmx.net White-Hat at gmx.net
Mon Jul 23 07:13:39 PDT 2007

Hello all.
I managed to install LFS on my pc (took me 10 hours but was really an experience) from the live cd. Now when I try to boot into my LFS I get the following lines after some normal boot messages:

VFS: Cannot open root device "hdb2" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

Well, my menu.lst looks like this:

(...Entry for Linux Mint which boots normally...)

title 		Linux from scratch
root 		(hd1,1)
kernel		/boot/lfskernel-2.6.16.38 root=/dev/hdb2

(...Entry for Windows XP which also boots normally...)

To make sure this options are right: I installed LFS on my second hard drive on the second partition, so hd1,1 and hdb2 are correct as far as I know. But in case they're correct I don't understand what I've done wrong.

Thanks in advance and greetings from Germany,

Rouven