ncurses libraries

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 13:41:00 PDT 2007

On 7/20/07, Lieven De Keyzer <lieven.dekeyzer at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm following the LFS 6.2 book, and I'm currently doing 6.18.1,
> ncurses. There is something I find a bit strange here.
>
> After installing the package with "make install", some libraries are
> moved with "mv -v /usr/lib/libncursesw.so.5* /lib". A symlink is
> recreated because it points to a non existing file. "ln -sfv
> ../../lib/libncursesw.so.5 /usr/lib/libncursesw.so".
>
> But there is another symlink also pointing at the same non-existing file:
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       18 2007-07-20 19:46 libcursesw.so ->
> libncursesw.so.5.5
>
> So, at the end of the instructions, when executing "echo
> "INPUT(-lncursesw)" >/usr/lib/libcursesw.so ", the
> /usr/lib/libncursesw.so.5.5 is recreated. Is this intentional?

That does seem wrong, but it works. I suppose it would be cleaner if
the linker script was just in libcursesw.so and there was no
/usr/lib/libncursesw.so. One less symlink to traverse, too. I think
there should be an

rm -vf /usr/lib/libcursesw.so

before

echo "INPUT(-lncursesw)" >/usr/lib/libcursesw.so

--
Dan