configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 12 04:15:49 PDT 2007

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 09:33:20AM +0100, Sean O'Reilly wrote:
> Hi, hope someone can help me with this, I have searched round on google
> and can't find an answer. I am using lfs version 6.2 on a fedora 6 host
> machine. My installed version of gcc on host machine is 4.1.2-13.
>
> When installing the first pass install of gcc on lfs partition i get the
> following error when running ./configure.
>
> "configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
> cannot create executables."
>
> I have compiled software from source on this machine on many occasions
> without problems. Can anyone please point me in the right direction.

 Whenever you get this message, look for config.log to find the last
failing test.  GCC (and binutils) might have several config.log
files in different subdirectories (but then again, maybe configure
gives up quickly with this error).

 But, you say you are running on fedora6.  Take a look at pass 1
binutils and pass 1 gcc in the development book - we now use
CC="gcc -B/usr/bin" for them to get around problems on fedora and
ubuntu (something to do with a hash option).  If you need to build
6.2, you could pass CC to binutils pass 1 and gcc pass 1 in the same
way.

ĸen