kernel package building

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 10 11:47:18 PDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 02:47:40PM -0300, ICMP Request wrote:
> Heya Ken!
 Hello, Mr Request ! ;-)

> /usr/include was always the place to put the kernel headers or am I
> wrong? Where do you put them?

 When I build a new system, I use the kernel's own *sanitised*
headers (since about 2.6.18 or 2.6.19), currently similar to how
LFS-trunk uses them, and then build glibc against them.

 Once the system is build, that's it, the headers don't get changed.
If it is a desktop, I typically install a newer system after not
very many months (the disks are partitioned for building and testing
multiple systems, so I could have 6 on a disk, of which two (one
32-bit, on 64-bit) are normally used.  For my local server, I only
upgrade the kernel if a security fix seems relevant - userspace
doesn't change much, and in theory it could go a couple of years
before being rebuilt.

> I know that according to LFS-svn, the kernel headers are now OK for use.
> But particularly I don't trust on them yet. And, as I already told:
>
> "This is just how I do it and it works fine for me. There are many other
> ways to compile the kernel."

 I'm fine with people not following development of everything, and
therefore sticking with methods that work.  Me, I only really follow
the kernel (and some weeks I don't keep up to date on it).  But,
updating the headers on a running system (so that they are newer
than what glibc was compiled against) scares me immensely.

 As to which headers to use, I've given up on the CLFS headers
because the kernel's own headers work for my architectures, and are
supported by kernel developers.  Yes, sysklogd (in CLFS) needs the
LFS patch for this, but it's plain sailing and avoids wasted effort
from me.

ĸen