kernel package building

paul.rogers at juno.com paul.rogers at juno.com
Tue Jul 10 11:45:08 PDT 2007

>Is there no way to bulk relocate the kernel to a temp folder?
>I'd like to keep everything IDENTICAL to how the kernel is installed
>by make install modules_install

I'm sorry, I guess I don't appreciate some subtlety about the question.  But when I build a kernel, make leaves the kernel as ONE file in arch/i386/boot, which my script copies to /boot/test.  The modules are a different matter, not something I think of as actually part of the kernel per se.  If INSTALL_MOD_PATH won't work for you, I suppose you could save your running system's modules, do nothing that could require a new module to be loaded while you: install the "new" modules into /lib/modules/x.y.z, tar those, then restore the system's own modules.  If the kernel of the system you build on has everything it needs built in, and not itself using modules, then that should be safe.

Paul Rogers  (paul.rogers at juno.com)
http://www.xprt.net/~pgrogers/