kernel package building

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 07:57:42 PDT 2007

On 7/10/07, Ross Cameron <ross.cameron at linuxpro.co.za> wrote:

> I've tried this approach (and several variants of it) to attempt this
> with the vanilla kernel sources from www.kernel.org and its not
> co-operating with me.
>
> The guys at redhat/fedora use a whole lot of "cp" commands in their
> kernel spec file to accomplish this but isn't there a simple way of
> re-directing the kernel's Makefile's logic that says everything must
> be installed under / ??????????
>
> Any and all thoughts appreciated....

All you really need are the modules, the kernel, the System.map and
the .config. The last three you cp by hand. The modules can be
directed to a temporary directory with INSTALL_MOD_PATH when issuing
modules_install.

Most of what's in the fedora spec is putting the kernel source in
/usr/src/linux, and that is a huge pain. Fortunately, it's not
necessary unless you need to build external modules and can't do it at
kernel build time. You can just keep the whole source tree, but it's
huge. The fedora spec strips it down to just what you would need to
build.

And there's documentation. If you can make sense of it, here's what I
do (much copied from fedora):

http://gitweb.dwcab.com/?p=gado.git;a=blob;f=spec/linux.spec;hb=HEAD

--
Dan