kernel package building

Tijnema tijnema at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 07:37:05 PDT 2007

On 7/10/07, Ross Cameron <ross.cameron at linuxpro.co.za> wrote:
> Hi all Ive hit a bit of a stumbling block and cant seem to BASH script
> my way out of it :(
>
> As most of you will know when building binary packages for UNIX-like
> systems the output of
>         make install
> is usually re-directed using something akin to
>         make DESTDIR=<some temp folder> install
>
> And then that temp folder is tarballed up, or what ever compression
> the package manager uses, and a binary package is created from this.
>
> I've tried this approach (and several variants of it) to attempt this
> with the vanilla kernel sources from www.kernel.org and its not
> co-operating with me.
>
> The guys at redhat/fedora use a whole lot of "cp" commands in their
> kernel spec file to accomplish this but isn't there a simple way of
> re-directing the kernel's Makefile's logic that says everything must
> be installed under / ??????????
>
> Any and all thoughts appreciated....
>
> Ross

Did you ever run a make install on the kernel? I don't think so...

Just note what you install with a kernel, that is
a) The headers (already installed before Glibc, and should be upgraded
together with glibc)
b) The kernel itself (arch/i386/boot/bzImage)
c) If any, the modules that are compiled
d) Optional, but recommended as in the LFS book, the System.map and
.config files
e) Optional, the documentation

Tijnema

--