Yet Another Chap 5.3 BinUtils Pass 1 Question(LFS 6.2)

Clyde Reed flyinghigh1962 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 10 00:07:50 PDT 2007

My host system is Fedora(version 5, I believe-how would I check?), and am in the process of attempting to install/configure binutils, LFS 6.2, page 5.3.1.  I was running into an error running the following command:

binutils-2.16.1/configure --prefix=/tools --disable-nls

I modified the configure command based on the LFS errata webpage,

CC="gcc -B/usr/bin/" binutils-2.16.1/configure --prefix=/tools --disable-nls

and got as far as the following:

configure:595: checking host system type
configure:616: checking target system type
configure:634: checking build system type
configure:689: checking for a BSD compatible install
configure:742: checking whether ln works
configure:766: checking whether ln -s works
configure:1809: checking for gcc
configure:1922: checking whether the C compiler (gcc -B/usr/bin/  ) works
configure:1938: gcc -B/usr/bin/ -o conftest    conftest.c  1>&5
binutils-2.16.1/configure: line 1937: gcc: command not found
configure: failed program was:

#line 1933 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

main(){return(0);}

The error is saying that the command couldn't be found, so I went to the usr/bin directory, looking for it there, but didn't find it.  I did find the following directory structure and file--usr/libexec/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/4.1.1/cc1, and attempted different combinations of the directory structure, but they all ended up similar to:

configure:1938: gcc -B/usr/libexec/ -o conftest    conftest.c  1>&5
binutils-2.16.1/configure: line 1937: gcc: command not found.

What am I missing--what do I need to do to make the configuration work?

By the way, do I need to run make clean at this point?  I'm assuming I haven't gotten far enough to have compiled anything yet.

If this issue is already addressed in a previous post, or somewhere on the LFS site, please, by all means point me in the right direction!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Clyde