LFS Mail Search

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 09:08:57 PDT 2007

A while back I created a custom Google search which seems to do a
pretty good job of searching the mail archives. Better than just
trying to use site: on a regular google search. I used their example
code to add an input form here:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~dnicholson/search.html

The html is really simple if you want to see it and reuse it somewhere
else. I'm thinking about adding it the support page on the main pages.
The source of the custom search is here:

http://google.com/coop/cse?cx=012845676306904203607%3A4mdnneo8vnq

It's really simple to create a Google custom search, but that's
another story. The other thing on the page with the search box is a
link for an LFS Mail Search Plugin. If you're using Firefox or
SeaMonkey (or IE7 since it's OpenSearch compatible :) you can just
click it and away you go. Alternatively, the plugin is here:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~dnicholson/lfs-mail.xml

and I think you can just stuff it in
~/.mozilla/firefox/<profile>/searchplugins and restart the browser. I
don't know where the location is for SeaMonkey, but it's probably
something similar.

If anyone is interested in this, let me know what you think. Also, if
you think this deserves consideration for the LFS main pages, say
something.

--
Dan