Section 6.9 glibc 'make check' errors: picky about its kernel?

JIM CAMERON jim_24601 at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 29 14:22:47 PST 2007

LFS book 6.2.
My normal host system is a (more or less) clean
Slackware 11, with a custom 2.6.18 kernel in place of
the stock 2.4. I'm following the book for the first
time, constructing an lfs system on a 2GB flash drive.
All went smoothly up until section 6.9 compiling the
final glibc; the compilation succeeded, but make check
came back with errors:

root:/sources/glibc-build# grep Error glibc-check-log
make[2]: *** [/sources/glibc-build/rt/librt.so] Error
1
make[2]: [/sources/glibc-build/posix/annexc.out] Error
1 (ignored)
make[1]: *** [posix/tests] Error 2
make[2]: ***
[/sources/glibc-build/nptl/tst-mutex8.out] Error 1
make[2]: *** [/sources/glibc-build/nptl/tst-cond8.out]
Error 1
make[2]: *** [/sources/glibc-build/rt/librt.so] Error
1
make[2]: ***
[/sources/glibc-build/nptl/tst-cancelx4.out] Error 1
make[2]: ***
[/sources/glibc-build/nptl/tst-cancelx5.out] Error 1
make[2]: ***
[/sources/glibc-build/nptl/tst-cancelx16.out] Error 1
make[2]: ***
[/sources/glibc-build/nptl/tst-cancelx20.out] Error 1
make[2]: ***
[/sources/glibc-build/nptl/tst-cancelx21.out] Error 1
make[2]: ***
[/sources/glibc-build/nptl/tst-cleanupx4.out] Error 1
make[1]: *** [nptl/tests] Error 2
make[2]: *** [/sources/glibc-build/nptl/libpthread.so]
Error 1
make[1]: *** [elf/tests] Error 2
make: *** [check] Error 2

It's not easy to find out what these are actually
testing, but they all seem to be fairly esoteric bits
of thread support.

I wondered if glibc might not be fussy about what
kernel you compile it under, so I built a new
2.6.16.27 kernel (i.e. the same kernel I'm eventually
going to install with the new LFS system) with the
same .config options as the existing host kernel,
rebooted with that and tried again. The second run
went much smoother: I had failures in  posix/annexc,
nptl/tst-clock2 and nptls/tst-attr3, which the book
suggests isn't a problem.

The moral of this story is: if you have trouble
building glibc, try booting the host with the same
version kernel as the target system.

(This isn't the first time I've been here; the first
time I went ahead regardless and then had trouble
compiling gcc - I'll see how it goes now I'm confident
of my new glibc).

jim