Udev messages on the console

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 29 11:23:14 PST 2007

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 02:02:14PM -0500, Darcy Roberts wrote:
> (running a finished LFS 6.2 system)
>
> How do I stop udev from outputting messages to the console? IE when I insert
> a CF or USB flash device, a bunch of annoying messages shows up on my text
> console. I've looked in udev.conf, but cannot see anything jumping out at
> me.

 Assuming these are kernel informational or debug messages, change
the logging level.  I run the following to ensure only errors or
worse hit the console.  The original suggestion was from somebody on
lfs or blfs support several years ago, possibly Marc Heerdink -

 sed -i 's/\(loadproc klogd\)/\1 -c 4/' /etc/rc.d/init.d/sysklogd

See 'man klogd' and be sceptical when it says klogd doesn't need to
set this value anymore.

ĸen