GCC second pass make error

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 29 04:11:06 PST 2007

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 08:09:47AM +0000, Steffen H.Larsen wrote:
> Ken Moffat <ken <at> linuxfromscratch.org> writes:
>
> >  I'm willing to assume that 'gcc-4.0.2' is really 4.0.3, because
> > you've already stated you are copying this by hand, in the absence
> > of a network connection on the machine where you are building.  But,
> > it would not have hurt you to confirm that, or else explain, when you
> > were asked.
>

> yes it's a misstype I meant 'gcc-4.0.3'
>
> hmm well I guess I'll be starting all over when I come home from work then
>
> that x86 thing well I assume that a p4 is and x86 processor but just in case
> tell me if it isn't ^^

 You are correct.

> and if the toolchain is broken wouldn't it had shown before this ?

 You are in the midst of rebuilding the toolchain until you complete
the second pass of binutils.  Then, you build another toolchain in
chapter 6.  Some of the headers are sanitised kernel headers (from
linux-libc-headers in the 6.2 book), but most of them come from
glibc.  Gcc digs fairly deeply into the headers, so it is more
likely to expose problems.

ĸen