gcc specs file missing

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 27 09:06:17 PST 2007

On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 11:36:40AM -0500, Eddie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently trying to install my first LFS system. I am using the
> Linux From Scratch - 6.2 online book. Everything has gone pretty
> smoothly for one exception. After completing chapter 5.6 with no
> problems, I went ahead to 5.7, Adjusting the Toolchain, and ran into a
> problem. After runnig this command:
>
> SPECFILE=`dirname $(gcc -print-libgcc-file-name)`/specs &&
> gcc -dumpspecs > $SPECFILE &&
>
> sed 's@^/lib/ld-
> linux.so.2@/tools&@g' $SPECFILE > tempspecfile &&
> mv -vf tempspecfile $SPECFILE &&
> unset SPECFILE
>
> I got this error: "bash: /specs: No such file or directory". I am
> assuming that the specs file was never created. When I type "gcc
> -dumpspecs" it spits out a specs file. But, when I try to search for the
> specs file by typing "find / -print | grep specs" it doesn't find
> anything. I tried to reinstall all the packages from scratch but still
> run into the same problem. I will be very grateful for any feedback.

 With gcc4, if a specs file doesn't exist (which is true before we
make the adjustment) it derives the values.  So, that is why it
still spits out the specs file.

 You have correctly used back-quotes aka back-ticks ('`') when you
showed us the command, so I'll ignore misquoting as a possible cause
of the error.  What output do you get from
 dirname $(gcc -print-libgcc-file-name)     ?

ĸen