GCC second pass make error

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 27 04:57:36 PST 2007

On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 12:53:08PM +0100, Steffen H. Larsen wrote:

> when I get to Re-installation of GCC
>
> I get this error when typing make
>
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/hda1/tools/gcc-Build2/libcpp´
> make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/hda1/tools/gcc-Build2/gcc´
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `all´. Stop
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/hda1/tools/gcc-Build2/gcc
> make: ** [all-gcc] Error 2
>
> how do I get this right I'm sure I must have done somthing wrong cause
> it seems that the guide is well done I just can't see what

 I've not seen this before.  It looks as if make finished whatever
it was doing in the libcpp directory, then changed to the gcc
directory and didn't know what to do.  One explanation might be if
the Makefile in the gcc/ source directory got trashed, e.g. by
something going wrong with one of the seds for fixincludes or
 -fomit-frame-pointer.  If you run

ls -l /tools/gcc-4.0.3/gcc/Makefile* /tools/gcc-Build2/gcc/Makefile

 what do you see ?  (There ought to be a non-empty Makefile, in
gcc-Build2/gcc)

 Another possibility, since you called the directory gcc-Build2, is
that you didn't remove the gcc-4.0.3/ directory after the first
build.

 If neither of those suggestions helps, I think you'll need to give
us more of the output.

ĸen