Proper choice of package management strategy

Juaco kankito at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 05:36:20 PST 2007

En 18/01/2007 11:19:33, Nadav Vinik <nadavvin at gmail.com> escribió:

> There two reasons for installing LFS:
> 1. To study how Gnu/Linux system work.

Exactly! But how you will do the study? If not reading on books, then the
best is to try to actually use the system, in real world tasks.

> 2. To do special customization in Linux which different  from other
> distros.
> How installing the complicate PM achieve that?
>
> Although this PM are good to create limited users.
>
> The propers of LFS is not make the longest Linux installation, but to
> create Linux from only the source code.

I think this case cualifies perfectly as "special customization" and shows
what kind of control over your computer you can have when you push to the
limit. Sure it will have some hard times here and there, but that is also
why many people choose Linux and LFS in the first place...if don't, go
grab the nearest PS around =)...

Besides i don't see that this way gives you "the longest linux
installation". If size is the matter, with the level of supervision you
have it gives you the smallest and most optimized install. Regarding
time...yes it could take a bit longer, but that's not much when it starts
to save you from (for example) overlapping libs/binaries from different
packages, or the troubles a bad suid setup can bring.

that is my humble oppinion